The capital of Moldova has a very interesting history that few people know about. Find out what the real meaning of the names of Chisinau neighborhoods is and what their history is.
The Center district has its origins in the early 19th century on the site of agricultural land and pastures. As an administrative-territorial unit within the city, the Center district was created in 1941, under the name of the Lenin sector.
The Lenin sector included the village councils of Botanica, Melestiu and Schinoasa.
By decision No. 11/77 of July 25, 1991, of the Executive Committee of the Municipal Council of People’s Deputies, the sector received the name Center.
Botanica is the city’s “visiting card”, opening its doors to those entering the city from the Airport. The Botanica district (former Soviet district) was created in accordance with Decree no. 1494 of March 23, 1977 of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of the Moldovan Soviet Socialist Republic of the 9th legislature.
Botanica is located in the southeastern part of the city, it covers an area of 158.7 km² with a population of approximately 210,000 people. The population density is 4430 inhabitants per km². The toponym Botanica was created under the influence of the School of Horticulture, established in 1842.
Thanks to the Bessarabian School of Horticulture, the first arboretum was created, which at the time was called “The English Garden”. Locals called it the “Botanical Garden” (probably because it was easier to remember and pronounce). Hence the name of the old suburb of Chisinau – Botanica.
The name Botanica took root in everyday use and with the abolition of the old administrative-territorial division, the old historical name Botanica was returned.
The name of the district Ciocana comes from the name of the former village Ciocana Nouă, which became part of the town in 1959. Until then, the village was part of the Visterniceni village hall and was known as a farm.
The toponym of the Ciocan estate, and later the village of the same name, comes from the name of the Moldavian landowner Ciocan or Ciocanu, who probably lived at the turn of the 16th-17th centuries.
As an administrative-territorial unit, the Ciocana sector came into existence on August 15, 1985. In 1986, an average of 6 apartments were built every day in this sector. Today, the Ciocana sector covers an area of 148 km².
Documents from the reign of Alexander the Good testify to the existence of a village on the right bank of the Bîc River, which bordered the territory of Chisinau.
In other documents, from a later time, the name of this village is also indicated – Visterniceni. In 1772, one of the representatives of the Rîscanu family became the owner of a property southeast of Visterniceni. The modern history of the Rîșcani sector begins on April 12, 1941, when, by decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of the RSSM, Chişinău was divided into three districts: Lenin, Stalin and Red Army (currently the Rîșcani sector).
On November 28, 1961, the Stalin district was renamed October. It included the village councils of Rîscani and Muncești. Since September 25, 1991, in accordance with government decree no. 535 “Regarding the functioning of Chisinau City Hall during the transition to a new administrative-territorial division”, the Octombria district was renamed Rîscani sector.
The name of the sector comes from the name of the ancient village Buiucani, founded more than 500 years ago (the first documentary mention of the village is found in a document dated August 20, 1608). In 1774, the village of Buiucani had 52 households, while in Chisinau there were 162 households. Over time, in the 50s and 60s of the 20th century, the village of Buiucani entered the city limits of Chisinau. During the years of Soviet power, from April 12, 1941, the Buiucani district was called the Red Army district, and from December 23, 1964, the “Frunze” district. Buiucani district of Chisinau Municipality was established in 1991 as an administrative-territorial unit with its current name.
Original article to read here.